Saturday, February 16, 2019

Trump on National Emergency: If Sued Higher Power (SCOTUS) Will Protect Me

The Legal Contest Gauntlet Has Been Thrown 
(Nancy Pelosi in Charge)

I am protected by my Supreme Court
(Got it, guys???)

Introduction: During his rant, Trump invoked his usual fondue of imaginary statistics and when asked by a reporter said: “I get my numbers from a lot of sources.” That belied the numbers from his own Justice Department and most experts as he conjured up this crisis.

He cited as statistical authority the strongly held feelings of some people — Angel Moms and the crowd in El Paso — who assured him that Wall makes them safer than no Wall. He was also exquisitely clear on what should be a material legal point: that this is not, in fact, a national emergency and clearly said: “I didn’t need to do this … I just want to get it done faster, that’s all.”

That followed months of inaction and years of a Republican-controlled Congress and then his announcement.

All that was followed when he departed for a golf weekend at Mar-a-Lago at 4 p.m.

Fore…!!!

Trump stood before the public on Friday (with 3-minute video) declaring a National Emergency and most of what he said was about himself – bragging in nearly every sentence which he routinely does regardless of the subject at hand.

In his zigzagged free-wheeling rant, he told the public regarding his fake national emergency that he expects to sued but that he would win concluding with this in essence: “I have the current Supreme Court in my pocket, so nothing else really matters. I will win my case.”

Various legal opinions are here from Slate.com in long yet very comprehensive analysis – worth keeping. What he said might be the greatest threat to the legitimacy of the entire judiciary and threat and rule of law. 

Their summary says it all: If this USSC ultimately stands by and rubber-stamps his fake data and tawdry impresario about threats the nation, then his fake national emergency will be with the high court, not the border.

My 2 cents: As I have stated a number of times and will continue to say: Donald J. Trump is unfit, ill-prepared, and unfit to serve as our president.

This his latest stunt undermines our entire democratic structure and emphasizes my contention and I suspect the view of millions of others.

So, why does all this matter? This will test and prove that our main body of government – Congress with its checks and balances or at least half of it: The current GOP-run Senate in particular, has failed in its loyalty to the people by not reining in Trump.

Stay tuned – this is huge legal battle looming. Now we wait to see the outcome.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments: